Of Social Protection & Solidarity, Culture & Sport of Monemvasia Municipality, the Sports Organizationof the Municipality of Sparta. The SPARTAN RUNNERS as technical counselors with the help and assistance of the Municipality of Evrotas, and under the auspices of the Peloponnese Region – P.E. LACONIA announce:
The 2nd LAKEDEMONION RACE - 130km Race “Byzantine Castles”Mystras - Geraki–Monemvasia
• DATE OF RACE: Saturday, 09th April 2022.
• STARTING TIME: 16:00 (4pm)
• START of the RACE: Mystras - Mystras Castle (Mystras Castle Southern Gate, this gate is about 1.5 km after the community of Mystras, on the road to Kalamata, it is the first gate you encounter after Mystras).
• Finish:Monemvasia - Monemvasia Castle (Elkomenos Christ Square - Kanoni Position)
• Race Time Limit: 21 hours, until 13.00 of 10th April 2022!
• Race Distance: 130 km ALL on asphalt track.
• RACE INFORMATION: The Lakedemonian Race will take place every two years! The whole race is on an asphalt route starting at Mystras (Central Southern Gate at Mystras) and ending at Monemvasia, inside the Castle !!! It will link the 3 Byzantine Castles of Laconia - Mystras, Geraki, and Monemvasia, which flourished during the Byzantine period and were used to communicate with each other, since via the castle of Geraki, they could have visual contact with the 3 castles! The route the race will take is as follows:
Mystras - Sparta - Chrysafa - Kalloni - Goritsa - Ag. Anargyroi - Geraki - Alepohori - Ag. DimitriosZarakos–KremmastiCrossroads - Lambokampos - Rheia - Ag. IoannisZarakos - Gerakas - Gerakas Port - Arriana - Old Monemvasia - Ag. IoannisMonemvasia - Monemvasia - Monemvasia Castle!
The kilometers of the race are 130, the last 250 meters of which take place within the Castle of Monemvasia where the finish is!
• Race Time Limit:
The time required to complete the race is 21 hours! You must have finished by midday at 13:00 inside the Castle of Monemvasia on Sunday, 10th April. Any time extension will be given, in the event of adverse weather conditions, and you will be informed during the race!
• Race Altitude:
The race starts at 420 meters above sea level, and ends at 125 meters above sea level! The highest altitude it reaches is 981 meters, which are at the 73rd km of the race! The total positive altitude of the race is 2,114 meters, while the negative altitude is 2,461 meters - inside the race site, you can find the Maps - Drawings section, where the altitude of the race per kilometer is!
• Exclusion Points: ALL drinks stations after the station at Chrysafa - EVERY station is a cutter.
•Drinks Stations: The race has 24 supply stations, 21 of whichare manned by volunteers! Three of them are just supplied with water.
These 24 stations are:
1. 7th km FIRE BRIGADE STATION at SPARTA, only with water (not an exclusion point).
2. 12.5th km BUGA LIMESTONE FACTORY, with water and coca-cola (not exclusion point).
3. 16.8 kmAgiaParaskevi Crossroads, with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks (not an exclusion point).
4. 21.5th km CHRYSAFA - Square, with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks, salty confectionery, fruit (1st exclusion point - You must be there by 18.30).
5. 25.5km KALLONI, with water, Coca-Cola , isotonic drinks, salty food and pastries. (Must be there by 19.15).
6. 32.3km GORITSA, with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks, salty food, pastries, spaghetti and boiled potatoes. (Must be there by 20.15).
7. 38.5th km St. ANARGYROI (bus stop), with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks, salty food, pastries, fruit (You must be there by 21.30).
8. 45.0 km CROSSROADS TOWARDS KALLITHEA - Provincial Road to Geraki, with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks (You must be there by 22.45)
9. 48.5km GERAKI (square)with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks, salty food, pastries, tea, fruit (You must be there by 23.30) 10. 56.0 km ALEPOCHORI with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks, salty food, confectionery, tea, fruit (You must be there by 00.15)
11. 63.0 km AG. DIMITRIOS (Square), with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks, salty food, confectionery, pasta, tea, soup, fruit (You must be there by 01.15)
12. 66.0 kmMandri to Kremasti, with water (unmanned drinks station - NOT EXCLUSIVE POINT)
13. 71.0 kmLANDSCAPE ON DIRT ROAD, with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks, salty food, confectionery (You must be there by 02.30)
14. 76.0 km Provincial Road to Lampocampo, with water (unmanned drinks station) (You Must Be There By 03.30)
15. 80.0 km Provincial Road to Lampokambos, with water (unmanned power station - NOT EXCLUSIVE POINT)
16. 84.5th km LAMPOKAMPOS (Square)with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks, salty food, confectionery, fruit, coffee. (You must be there by 04.30 - WITH THE NEW TIME CHANGE)
17. 90.0 KmWIND TURBINE EXIT, with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks, salty food, confectionery (You must be there by 05.30)
18. 94.5th km RICHIA (Square), with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks, salty food, confectionery, soup, fruit, coffee. (Must be there by 06.30pm)
19. 101.0 km AGIOS IOANNIS - Koulouris point, with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks, salty food, confectionery, soup, fruit, coffee (You must be there by 08.00)
20. 103.5th km IERAKAS, with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks, salty food, confectionery, soup, fruit, coffee (You must be there by 08.30)
21. 109.0 kmAGNANTI DASKALEIOU, with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks (You must be there by 10.15)
22. 117.0km OLD MONEMASIA, with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks, salty food, confectionery (You must be there by 11.30am)
23. 121.5 km. CROSSROADS TO MONEMVASIA, with water, Coca-Cola, isotonic drinks(You must be there by 12.00 pm)
24. 127.5th km MONEMVASIA (BRIDGE ENTRY), with water (NOT EXCLUSIVE POINT).
25. 130 km MONEMVASIA -CASTLE(TERMINAL)!!!YOU MUST BE THERE UNTIL 13.00
Someof the above stationsmay have extra food than what has been mentioned!
• Participation Criteria: Tobe eligible to participate in the 2ndLAKDEMONION RACE 130km. you must comply with any of the following racing criteria, which must have occurred within the period of the last 3 years 2019 - 2022:
1) You must have completed any race in Greece or abroad, over 50 km, within the time limit set by the organizers.
2) You must have finished any mountain racing trail, on rough terrain, over 40 km, within the time limit set by the organizers.
WE WOULDRESPECTUFULLY ASK THOSE WHO DO NOTCOMPLY WITH ANY OF THE ABOVE CRITERIA NOT TOSIGN UP BECAUSE THEIR REGISTRATION WILL NOT BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION.
The race will be signaled in yellow with the known arrows and the corresponding X’s, while the kilometer markers of the route will be reported every 5 km. The signaling will be visible after you have left the city of Sparta about 8 km! As far as that point THERE WILL BE NO SIGNAL, AND YOU WILL BE DIRECTED BY THE POLICE.
On the way there will be specialized doctors to intervene where needed!
Gifts will be given to EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATES, whether they finish or not! Gifts will be a souvenir t-shirt, backpack, buff and more. These prizes will be given at the race secretariat when you receive your entry package! Everyone who finishes will be given a medal of the race as well as a commemorative diploma! Cups will be given to the first 6 men and the first 3 women!
A PASTA - PARTY will be given before the start of the race, at the XENIA MYSTRAS CAFÉ - RESTAURANT, which is approximately 700 meters away close to the start of the race, on the provincial road Mystras - Kalamata, and approximately one km after the community of Mystras, on the provincial road Mystras - Kalamata! The PASTA - PARTY will start at about 12.00 and will be over by 15.00. At this restaurant you will also find the race secretariat, where technical updates and speeches will be made!
THE SECRETARIAT & RACE TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
The race secretariat will open at 12:00 on the day of the race (9th April), and will be open until 15:00! The secretariat will be located at the XENIA MYSTRAS CAFÉ - RESTAURANT, which is approximately 700 meters close to the start of the race, on the provincial road Mystras - Kalamata, approximately 1 km after the Community of Mystras towards Kalamata! In this area you will be able to leave whatever you wish to find in one of the stations of the race, also at this point you will be provided with the corresponding useful bags in order to better serve you! At the same place and immediately after the closing of the secretariat and the completion of the Pasta party, the technical update of the race will take place, at approximately 15.00, one hour before the start of the race!
• Start of the Race:
The start will take place at 4pm from the Central Southern Gate of the Mystras Castle, once we have already gone there after hearing the Technical Updates.
• Personal Belongings for the stations:
At the race secretariat, you will be able to leave whatever you want to find at some stations! There will be special bags for ALL stations where you can put your things, EXCEPT FOR the first two stations and FOR THOSE UNMANNED DRINKS STATIONS! For All the others you will be able to leave whatever you wish! Also on your way, upon reaching a station, you will be able to leave anything you wish which will be returned and handed out to you at the finish, and after the race has officially been closed - after 13:00!
• Dropping out of the race:
There will be a car or van at the end of the race to pick up those who might drop out of the race, whichever the motive. For those dropping out before and as far as AgiosDimitrios will be taken by a race organizer’s car or van up to km 63 where a race coach will take them to Monemvasia! This accounts for those without an Escort (for those who have one can drive direct to the finish point). For those who may drop out after this point, they will also be transported by an organizer’s car or van to the finish line in Monemvasia, however, firstly serving the needs of the race. We will do our best to take you as fast as possible to the finish point, though.
WE DO EXPECT THERE WILL NOT BE MANY DROP-OUTS, OR ANYONE AT ALL! ON OUR PART, HOWEVER, WE WILL DO OUR BEST AND ACT PROMPTLY IN ORDER TO PICK ANYONE UP.
• Race Awards: The award ceremony will be shortly after 13.00, on Sunday, 29th March, once the race will have officially finished at Monemvasia Castle (Elkomenos Christ Square - Kanoni Position) inside the castle.There will be awards for the winners, and medals and diplomas will be given to all the finishers by the officials who may come for the award ceremony!
The Organizers the race are not at all involved with the athletes' stay. Athletes, who wish, can stay either on the eve of the race at Mystras or even in Sparta, or afterwards wherever they want at their own expense. However, the event organizers will have taken care of an adjacent hotel near the end of the race for the athletes to take a shower if they wish!
• How to sign up for the race:
To register you must click on the following link:
Until Monday 04 April, 12.00 at morning! On the day of the race NO REGISTRATION WILL BE ACCEPTED
The cost for anyone who wishes to participate in The 2nd LAKEDEMONION RACE - 130km Race “Byzantine Castles”Mystras - Geraki–Monemvasia,
is the following for the following 2 cases:
1) €60 to anyone who comes in their own vehicle, and does not use the race coach!
2) €80 in case you use the race coach of the event for your trip before and after the race is over.
You are requested to deposit this until Tuesday, 05 April, 2021 in order for your participation to be considered valid, in the following PIRAEUS BANK account number : 5073-063798-547, IBAN: GR08 0172 0730 0050 7306 3798 547
Beneficiary Name: GORANITIS PAVLOS (Please state your name in the depositreceipt ,by doing so you will enable us to crosscheck your settlement).
Otherwise, you can bring the race fee to the OLYMPUS Sports Prize Shop, located at 124, AlexandrouPapanastasiou Avenue, PIRAEUS, from 09.00 - 17.00 every day, except weekends (tel. +30 215 5408840).
Anyone who has not paid the entry fee until the due date (23/03/2020) is considered invalid and cannot participate in the race.
Payments on the race day will not be accepted!!!
• Athletes’ Escorts:
By all means, any athlete who wants it can have a companion with their own vehicle! Of course, these escorts will be able to follow their athlete ONLY AT THE DRINKS STATIONS, AND NOT DURING THE RACE, OR ALONGSIDE THEM! The escorts must be fully aware of the rules of the race, and must comply with the guidelines of the organizing committee! FOR YOUR ESCORTS, NO EXTRA COST IS REQUIRED!
• COVID RULES: To take participation at the race, you must belong to those kategories:
1)To have make full vacinnation to yourself
2)To have sick yourself from the covid 19, the last 3 months!
• Transportation from Athens:
Athletes will be transported from and to Athens for the race. The race coach will set out from Athens at 9.00 am, on April 09th from Karaiskaki Square (Metaxourgio). The return will take place
on Sunday,10thMarch between 14:00-14:30, and after all the scheduled events of the race have been completed.
You do not need to sign up for transportation with the racecoach; you can do so at the link on your entry form. For your transportation to the event, an additional cost of €20.00 is required for all athletes (detailed in Participation Cost).
• Rules of the Race:
In the race site (www.lakoniaultrarunning.com), there are detailed race rules that you must abide by, which are in line with the rules that apply to all long distance races! Please read themconscientiously in order for the race to function smoothly!
• Medical Examinations:
All athletes are required to have recently undergone medical examinations and to be in good health. Everyone who wishes to participate in the race MUST GET THE NECESSARY MEDICAL CERTIFICATION FROM A CARDIOLOGIST OR GENERAL PRACTITIONER. Also those who take part in the race and upon receiving their number must sign the necessary statement, that they are running at their own risk.
Saturday, 9th April:
• 09.00 am: Coach Departure from Athens (Karaiskaki Square)
•12.00 pm: OPENING OF SECRETARIAT AT XENIA MYSTRAS, EXPECTED ARRIVAL OF COACH AND PASTA PARTY AT THE SAME PLACE.
• 15.00: CLOSING OF SECRETARIAT.
• 15.15: TECHNICAL RACE UPDATES AT THE XENIA MYSTRAS .
• 15.30 : ENDING OFTHE TECHNICAL UPDATES.
• 15.35 : ON THE WAY TO THE SOUTHERN GATE OF MYSTRAS CASTLE.
• 16.00 : START OF THE 2nd LAKEDEMONION RACE.
Sunday, 10th March:
• 03.00 - 05.00 a.m.:Estimated arrival of the first athlete at Monemvasia. • 13.00 : Completion of race.
• 13.15: Award ceremony.
• 14.30 : Coach departure for Athens.
• FURTHER INFORMATION:
You can refer to the race website, www.lakoniaultrarunning.com
You can reach us on: 0030 6955985506 or 0030 6936853165 (Goranitis Pavlos)
or email us at email@example.com.